Newsletter Sign Up
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
Stay updated on news, articles and information for the rail industry
Rail News Home
Passenger Rail
Rail News: Passenger Rail
9/27/2011
Rail News: Passenger Rail
Metro-North completes flood damage assessment of Port Jervis Line

advertisement
About $50 million in repairs to the Port Jervis Line will allow train service to be restored by year’s end, according to an assessment of Hurricane Irene-related flood damage recently completed by MTA Metro-North Railroad.
Metro-North officials are working with New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority representatives to identify necessary funding, including Federal Emergency Management Agency aid and insurance, Metro-North officials said in a prepared statement.
Days after the Aug. 28 storm, Metro-North began providing alternate bus service on the line. Earlier this month, the railroad restored service between Port Jervis and Harriman, N.Y. Temporary bus service will remain in effect during the track construction, Metro-North officials said.
After service resumes in December, occasional busing will continue in select off-peak periods to allow completion of flood mitigation and riverbank stabilization work that’s necessary to protect the track.
Metro-North plans to seek a contractor through an expedited bidding process to rebuild the line. The contract is expected to be awarded Oct. 15. Meanwhile, Metro-North crews have begun replacing ballast that was washed away by the Ramapo River, which parallels the track in some locations.
Engineers estimate that 90 percent of the repair work will involve replacement of ballast washed away by flooding in a 14-mile stretch between Suffern and Harriman, according to Metro-North.
Metro-North officials are working with New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority representatives to identify necessary funding, including Federal Emergency Management Agency aid and insurance, Metro-North officials said in a prepared statement.
Days after the Aug. 28 storm, Metro-North began providing alternate bus service on the line. Earlier this month, the railroad restored service between Port Jervis and Harriman, N.Y. Temporary bus service will remain in effect during the track construction, Metro-North officials said.
After service resumes in December, occasional busing will continue in select off-peak periods to allow completion of flood mitigation and riverbank stabilization work that’s necessary to protect the track.
Metro-North plans to seek a contractor through an expedited bidding process to rebuild the line. The contract is expected to be awarded Oct. 15. Meanwhile, Metro-North crews have begun replacing ballast that was washed away by the Ramapo River, which parallels the track in some locations.
Engineers estimate that 90 percent of the repair work will involve replacement of ballast washed away by flooding in a 14-mile stretch between Suffern and Harriman, according to Metro-North.